Thursday, June 28, 2012

"breakfast" rolls

I like to experiment in the kitchen.  I'm a scientist at heart.



Today, I made cinnamon rolls.  I started by making a standard roll recipe.  It's a 30 minute recipe.  That's what caught my eye.  30 minutes, versus 1-3 hours?  Okay!

The recipe was enough for two batches of sweet rolls and that's when I got all scientisty...

After I made a batch of regular cinnamon rolls, I starting scheming...

I love orange rolls, and I love Tang. It seems like a natural progression...

Tang anyone?
 


 I added cinnamon and nutmeg. ^^^ Looks like the cheetos leopard.^^^


 You know the dental floss or sewing thread trick for cutting rolls?  Ya, a really REALLY sharp knife works best.  The hubby sharpens our knives SHARP!


 I let them raise for about 10 minutes.


 waiting...waiting...waiting...


 Recently, someone in our household broke our hand mixer.  No worries.  Bosch to the rescue.  Frosting was just softened butter, a few shakes of salt, powdered sugar, hot water and vanilla.  No measuring, just threw it together.


DElish!  At least I thought so.  My kids thought the Tang rolls were "sour".  I like them that way. 


Roll recipe:

30 Minute Rolls

1 cup warm water
4 Tablespoons yeast
2 cups milk
1 cube (1/2 cup) softened butter
6 Tablespoons sugar
8 Cups flour
1 teaspoon salt

In a small bowl mix warm water, yeast, and sugar; cover set aside.  In a separate bowl add remaining ingredients when yeast has started to grow add to other ingredients and mix together.  Let rise for 10 minutes.  Work into rolls.  Put onto greased sheet and let rise for at least 10 minutes. Work into rolls. Put onto greased sheet and let rise for at least 10 minutes.  Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.  Makes 2 dozen.

I divided this recipe in half and rolled out, spread butter, sugar, cinnamon, nuts and raisins optional.  For the "orange" rolls, I used Tang, cinnamon and nutmeg.  If you dare try these, you may want to add sugar so your children don't tell you they are sour.  

Hey Barry, these are definitely better than those Tang pancakes years ago...;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

>