Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Jeans up cycle


It's that time of year...
 
...that time of year when my kids have outgrown their jeans that I bought them at the first of the school year.  Thankfully, it's also getting warmer so that means you can turn high waters into cute Capri pants (for the girls at least.)
 
So after my 11 1/2  year old girl had a  semi-melt down this morning over jeans not fitting anymore, I felt much compassion for her and "sprung" into action.
 
I'm a six foot tall woman and know intimately the woes of pants that are not long enough anymore...
 
Here's a tutorial x 3 if you also want/need to up cycle jeans into Capri pants.
 
 

Floral Cuff:


 
Start by cutting off pants.
Measure 2nd pant leg with first scrap.
 
 
Fold over rectangle to form a tube that you pin in direct line with the edge of pant leg.
 
 
Sew the tube.
 
 
Fold tube in half.
 
 
 
Put tube aside to zig zag the edges of a flower that is going to embellish the pant leg that needs to go on first because it will be easier when the cuff isn't on yet.
 
 
I've found that it's easier to maneuver a pant leg with that sewing machine part thingy off. 
 
Yes, 'thingy' is a technical sewing machine part...
in my world.
 
 
attach button for flower center...
 
 
Now attach cuff to bottom of pant leg right sides together (this cuff is all right sides) and sew that baby on!
 
 
 
My good friend Bonnie told me once that  "the difference between a seamstress job and a home sewn job is in the ironing."
 
So iron all those seams and hems with precision and it will make a big difference.
 
 
 Simple Hem:
 
 
This pair of pants are flared, so I thought I'd just cut the original hem off and attach it to the newly shortened pant legs.
 
 
cut hem off, leaving a seam allowance...
 
 
shorten the pant legs...
 
 
re-attach the hem to the pant legs...
 
 
sew the hem back on...
 
 
If you don't have this thread, rush to your local craft store and buy it.  This thread will make all the difference when you top stitch jeans because it's just like the thread that (most) jeans are sewn with in the factory.
 
 
So after a successful re-attachment, I put a top stitch right along side the original hem stitch and then ironed it thoroughly.
 
 
 
 
 
Gathered Eyelet Ruffle:
 
 
 
Again with the tube... 
 
 
After hemming the bottom of the tube, gather the top by sewing a basting stitch at the top and pulling gently on the string...
 
Attach tube right sides together.
 
 
 
 
 
Here's where I had to stop and revamp my design...
 
I didn't really love it and that meant either my daughter would LOVE it or not like it either.  I just eliminated one of her choices and did it my way. heh heh heh
 
 
I shortened the original ruffle and zig zagged the edge...
 
 
 
Then I added the rest for the layered affect... 
 
 
 
Much better.
 
 
 
Meanwhile back at the ironing board...
 
Remember to iron everything nice and crisp and you'll have a homemade pair of up-cycled Capris that daughter will be proud to wear. 
 
Heck, I think I need a pair of Capris too! :)
 
**If said daughter doesn't like these, they will be for sale on my Etsy shop...
 
just sayin'
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

>