Wednesday, April 10, 2013

consumer report

If you follow this blog at all, you know that I love Pinterest.

I am also a scientist at heart.  I like to experiment to see if things work.  It's a method my mother used on me as a kid.  Maybe I'm a doubting Thomas at heart.  She'd say, "just experiment and see if you like it or not."

So, when I see things on Pinterest, I have a natural curiosity to see if it works, or if it's too good to be true.

Here are a few of the pins I have tested.


Celery.  The celery in the foil thing totally works.  It happened almost by default one time when the plastic bag that the celery comes in was thrown away and we were out of plastic wrap.  I had that pin flash through my mind and thought, well, we'll see if this really works.


Pinterest


It totally does.  I had bought two, left one in the plastic bag and wrapped one in tin foil and the one in foil stayed nice and fresh and crisp.

I didn't take pictures of that since it was almost an after thought.  My experience is that it works.  But don't take my word for it, try it for yourself.

Next is the one that you can regrow lettuce (and celery etc.).  I had to try this one too...

This one I have pictures of.

looks like the water needs to be changed...

It works.  The outer edges kind of browned, but it grows.  I don't know what next, but it does grow.

Box cake mix getting you down?

Pinterest has the answer to that too.

Make a box cake turn out like a bakery cake.


According to this pin, you add one more egg than your box instructions calls for, replace oil with butter and water with milk.

Oh my holy yummy cake. 

I may or may not have had to 'experiment' with all of the parts I cut out of the cake to make the number eight.

Anyway, the last tip is mine and I've used it for years, but I'm sure it's on Pinterest somewhere.  It's vinegar erasing hard water.  I got out my pyrex measuring cup to melt butter in and it was just coated with hard water.  Not okay to take pictures for your blog with, so I soaked it in vinegar water and...








Voila'!  Good as new!

Look at that beautiful, shiny, hard water free measuring cup. 

Again, don't take my word for any of this, take my mom's.  "Experiment".



No comments:

Post a Comment

>