Friday, September 7, 2012

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

Good Morning!

We've all heard how breakfast is the most important meal of the day.  Especially a healthy one right?

Jelly filled donuts maybe not so much.

 So this morning I thought I'd have a healthy breakfast unlike yesterday where I may or may not have had said jelly donuts...





My daughter has been sick.  We've all had some nasty viral bronchial thing.  She's been asking for oatmeal.  Probably because it's hot and, well, after butter and brown sugar or honey (which is the way we do it when we're sick), it's delicioso!!!

Hers looked so good that I promptly made some for myself.  With toast of course.


Take a look at this beautiful, delicious looking picture of morning goodness.


 My favorite is brown sugar and cinnamon so you can imagine how excited I was to sit down to this lovely breakfast when I noticed that the granules of cinnamon were unusually large.

OH no.

NOT cinnamon!

 not. cinnamon.

I grabbed the chili powder and just went right ahead and sprinkled on a generous amount.

*sigh*



 Well, it wasn't that bad.

Wasn't about to waste it.  I just re-sprinkled with cinnamon and ate it.

Only could eat half.


I might be on to something...lol



That's how I washed down my diet oatmeal.  ;)

So this is the long way around to introduce my Homemade Enchilada Sauce.

It is hands down the best.  I won't ever buy store bought red enchilada sauce again.

Enchilada Sauce

2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 Tablespoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
2 cups water
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

  1. Heat oil in large 2-Qt saucepan; stir in flour and chili powder; cook for 1 minute.
  2. Add remaining ingredients.  Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
You're welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>