Thursday, January 10, 2013

what a crock!

You know the old saying, "one mans trash is another mans treasure"?  It's soooooooooooo true!

It's true for women too!

It was a dark and cold night, our neighbors were tired, weary, sick of moving, out of room and out of time...

All perfect ingredients for scoring someone's stuff!

I squinted to see what I thought was an old crock sitting by the city trash can, alone, dejected, abandoned and practically begging me to rescue it.

I asked the lady of the house, (yep still watching DA) if she was throwing that out.  To my horror and glee, she said yes.  "I'LL TAKE IT if you're throwing it out" I exclaimed, hardly able to control my excitement from this serendipitous good fortune.

She said I could have it, it was old (antique) and that she liked it but, it wasn't really her style and that it was really dirty and she whispered that it might even have mouse droppings in it.  I'm pretty sure all  I heard was a chorus of Angels from Heaven.


How lucky am I?!






If I drank red bull, this is where I'd store them.

Seriously, when it's time for neighbors to move, go help, you never know what treasures you'll be given.

I thought I'd research this  crock  and here is some info. if you are interested in the history of it.
***  Wing-decorated jars were made between 1909 and 1947. In 1915, a patent was issued for the method of attaching bailed handles with a bolt through a lug of clay at the rim. The patent date of "December 21, 1915" was stamped in blue near the lug for the rest of the years of production. Handles were available on jars from 4-30 gallons. The jars continued to be offered without handles as well. Dating of a particular piece can best be done by examining the size of the wing and the trademark oval. The earliest ovals were 2-7/8 inches wide. By 1915, the oval was reduced to 2-1/4 inches wide and around 1930, reduced again to 1-11/16. In 1936, the company name changed from Red Wing Union Stoneware Co. to Red Wing Potteries, Inc., in a 1-11/16 inch oval. The wings on early jars of 5-gallons and above are 6 inches to the tip. Around 1920, the size dropped to 4-1/8, the same size as it had been on 2 through 4-gallon sizes. In the early 1930’s, the wing on the small jars shrunk to 2-1/4 inches. The 4-1/8 inch wing was still preferred on 20-gallon and larger jars, but they too often received the 2-1/4 inch wing. Because there is some variation in the dating of the crocks and because people measure the winged logo differently, we let people do their own measuring to determine the various dates of these vintage crocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

>