Monday, October 31, 2011

happy hallOween

"I wanna be a CARROT!"


Why do I do this to myself?  Why do I ask what kids want?  Next Halloween I guarantee I'm going to buy costumes online and not even get my kids' input!


A black bear?  A carrot?  Where do my kids get these ideas?!  I don't think of the work involved until after I'm finished and then I think "I'll never do that again."  Well some of these costumes I'd do again in a heart beat, but others...not so much.

My 9 year old daughter wanted to be a dog.  A dog? Really?  uh, no.  Yep I told her no.  Then my hubby suggested she go as an Indian girl.  Native American Indian, not Indian Indian.  She thought about it for awhile, mourned the loss of getting to be a dog, then got really excited about the idea.  We are part Cherokee, so I guess it's fitting.  She's only 1/32nd Cherokee, but 1/32nd never-the-less.

Leave it to me to put it off to the last minute.  We had the hubbies work party to dress up for on Friday and I left it until Thursday to go to the Fabric store.  I think I work better with that looming deadline.  It's so very ADHD of me.

Costumes are in a different category than real clothing.  So they can go fairly quickly.  Four costumes in one day is pushing it though.

I started with the bear...

my "pattern"




That's all the pics I got of that.  I was in quite a rush and photographing them wasn't on the top of my list.  I didn't get pics of putting on the hood and ears, but it was pretty simple.  Fake fur is forgiving.  You don't see many mistakes.  This had plenty.  Like his arms.  They didn't even fit all the way to my sons wrists.  Oh well.  That's what I get for not following a pattern.

Next little Indian girl...




As you can see, this isn't rocket science.  The buckskin outfit was a really simple sew.  I like simple.  I like it a LOT.

Now.  My little carrot girl.

I sewed a tube with arms.  That's it.  Of course that's because I ran out of time.  I was good to get arms on.  I was going to sew a super carrot symbol, but the clock said no.

This is the final (albeit unfinished) product:




So that's my little ones, but what about a 13 year old who still wants to go trick-or-treating?  I came up with a black cloak.  It would be able to be just about anything.  I was thinking really really really simple so I went and bought a sheet and a pillow case in black.  Already hemmed. Can't get any easier than that.  The concept would be like a hooded towel that I've made several times for my kids.  Easy peasy.  Sheet is body, pillow case is hood.  Man this was simple. 

I didn't get a pic with this on him, but hope you can see.  I put a draw string in it.  It's really sweet.  The only thing that would have made it sweeter would have been to line it with red. Next year...little red riding hood.  Sew simple.



1 comment:

>