Tuesday, October 11, 2011

what comes after deer season? JERKY season...


enlarged to show detail


My husband makes the best jerky in the world.
Ok, let me rephrase that.  He makes the best jerky in my world because I haven't traveled the world over tasting jerky.  It seems that he makes the best in other peoples world too.  It's good. Really good.  Really really good.

He has spent years perfecting his recipe.  He cures and smokes each piece.  ha ha That sounded funny...

It's quite the process, but well worth the time and energy put into it.

This is something I can't give the recipe out for, but I will show you some of the process...

*surgeon general warning* not needed here





R2D2...

He is currently taking orders.  He will take your elk or deer and make it into jerky for you, or if you don't hunt, he will make beef jerky for you.  For you vegans...  Well, he could probably make you some wheat meat jerky.  That's probably tasty.  Oh you know that I'm going to have to try that now... 

We went through this batch of jerky like piranhas on a...well, like piranhas on a batch of jerky.

I wanted to know where the name "jerky" came from since we are what we eat...this is what wikipedia says:

"The word "jerky" comes from the Quechua term charqui, which means to burn (meat).[2][3] Jerked meat was one of the first human-made products[citation needed] and was a crucially important food preservation technique for survival."

We certainly don't need it for survival anymore.  That might be debated by the members of this family.  Today, jerky is more of a luxury than a survival food.

jerky gone


Kids keep eating all the jerky, they are gonna need survival skills I tell you what...;)





No comments:

Post a Comment

>