Monday, September 19, 2011

peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches, peaches..

two full boxes to start...
 So while my hubby should be convalescing after knee surgery on his day off, he tells me he wants to help me bottle peaches.  You sure?  Well ok then.

blanching...
 I would be in bed, bowl of popcorn, ice cold drink, leg propped up, movie stack, magazine stack and bell in hand if I were recovering from knee surgery.  Don't get me wrong, he has returned back to work, but on his day off, I think he'd be milking it for all it's worth.  Did I forget to mention bon bons? 
cooling...
 There is a fruit and vegetable stand across the street from where my hubby works and the day they put out peaches I think he must have drooled all the way home to tell me we should get some. 
peeling...
 These are Red Haven peaches.  A freestone variety.  The only way to go for bottling.  If they aren't freestone, plan on making jam because the pit will be a booger to get out.
peeled...
 We got 13 quarts out of one of the boxes.  We ran out of jars and time and I will be finishing the rest tomorrow after we go buy more jars.  Now let me go on record saying that I don't think it's cost effective to buy produce to bottle, but peaches are the exception.  Bottled peaches are so divine that it's worth every dollar spent.  Store bought canned just don't compare.
lids heating...
 Pulling these babies out in the middle of winter brings enormous satisfaction to those who go to the trouble and expense of bottling their own peaches.  Am I right people?  Do I hear an amen?
pouring in syrup...
 Do I care too much about food?
bubbles out...
 I will tell you though that I will be so glad when harvest time is over so I can get to the projects that have been on the "back burner", such as a mirror make-over, ottoman slip cover, "stained glass" window, and cedar chest make over just to name a few.
loading steam canner...
 But mean while back at the ranch, we still have more pickles to bottle, more elderberry jelly to bottle, and tomatoes to bottle if they ever get red.
practically perfect...
We are surely blessed with produce to store up.  It's very satisfying to bottle your own food.  Now let's just hope we did it right and we don't all die in a big botulism fiasco...
beautiful pink...
 Are those beauties or what!?  Bring on winter...









No comments:

Post a Comment

>