Monday, September 12, 2011

can I lick the beaters?







It's birthday time!!!  My beautiful step-daughter is turning the big 2-0 today.  I shed a little tear... She has left the teenage years behind.  But the best is yet to come!  At least that's what you have to tell them to look forward to getting older right?.  Oh, who am I kidding, 19 was one of the best years of my life.

She gave us brownies as one of the options for her birthday "cake".  A girl after my own heart.  She gets it from me. ;)
  This is the best brownie recipe I've found.  It's not a well kept family secret, it's just out of the BH&G cookbook.  Here is the recipe...

(un-frosted brownies, b-day girl request)
 


FUDGE BROWNIES


1/2 cup butter or margarine
2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup chopped nuts


1. Grease an 8x8x2-inch baking pan; set aside.  In a medium saucepan melt butter and chocolate over low heat.  Remove from heat.  Stir in eggs, sugar, and vanilla.  Using wooden spoon, beat lightly just till combined.  Stir in flour and nuts.
2. Spread batter in prepared baking pan.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30 minutes.  Cool in a wire rack.  Cut into bars.  Makes 24 brownies.

Editor notes:  I add a pinch of salt.  You can leave it out if you want, but trust me, it's better with a bit of salt. Also, if you don't have chocolate squares but do have cocoa powder, you can substitute 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder + 1 Tablespoon oil for one ounce chocolate.  It works.  I've used that substitute many times.
Then, as if these delicious brownies aren't enough.....drum roll please.....

Minute Fudge Frosting:
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup shortening
2 sq. unsweetened chocolate (2 oz.) cut up
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Mix all ingredients except vanilla in saucepan. Stir over low heat until chocolate and shortening melt.  Bring to a full rolling boil, stirring constantly.  Boil 1 minute. (220degrees).  Remove from heat and beat until lukewarm (120 degrees). Stir in vanilla.  Beat until a smooth consistency.  Enough for two 8 or 9" layers or 13x9" oblong cake.
Or in this case, brownies.  I didn't frost the brownies today, but it is devilishly delicious.  Warning, it may put you in a sugar coma, but  it's the best.
You can thank me later...unless you're in a coma. ahem.
P.S. I licked the beaters myself. I wouldn't put my kids at risk like that...ya, that's it.
yummy batter (salmonella--shalmonella! pfft!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

>